Governing body of European football, UEFA have reportedly admitted referee Deniz Aytekin played a major role in helping Barcelona overturn their first leg lose to PSG with an audacious 6-1 victory in the Champions League round of 16.
Complaints were filed against Aytekin by the Paris club after Barcelona upturned a four goal deficit at Camp Nou in March, 2017.
Unai Emery and his lads were believed to have cemented their passage to the quarterfinals of the competition but a plunder of goals from Luis Enrique’s boys truncated the hopes of the 2016 French Champions.
UEFA’s Disciplinary Committee recognizes that the arbitrator “failed in the exercise of his functions during this meeting”.
Football fans especially in France have been waiting to know UEFA’s stand on the matter.
It however took the European football governing body three years to admit that there were several “suspicious errors” during the game.
Highlights From Barcelona Vs PSG 1st and 2nd Legs, UCL 2017
8 Things To Know About Deniz Aytekin
- Deniz Aytekin is a German football referee of Turkish descent.
- He is based at Oberasbach, Bavaria.
- Aytekin refereed his first Bundesliga match on 27 September 2008 when Hertha BSC played FC Energie Cottbus in Berlin.
- He was listed as a FIFA referee in 2011.
- He is a UEFA elite category referee.
- He has officiated games in the DFB, 2. Bundesliga, Bundesliga and UEFA Champions League.
- He is an internet entrepreneur.
- Deniz Aytekin was born on 21 July 1978 and is aged 41.