Sebastian Vettel will race for Aston Martin in the 2021 Formula One season it has been revealed.
The news was confirmed just hours after Mexican driver Sergio Perez revealed he was leaving the team.
Four-time world champion, Vettel, has failed to live up to expectations at Ferrari who have watched as Mercedes and Lewis Hamilton have dominated in the last four years.
Having failed to mount a sustainable challenge for either the driver’s or constructor’s titles at Ferrari and having consistently been outperformed by Charles Leclerc, the Italian manufacturer announced they would be releasing the 33-year-old after this season.
Vettel had been in talks with Aston Martin, who will rebrand from Racing Point in 2021, for several weeks after becoming a free agent and is now set to team up with Lance Stroll, the son of Lawrence Stroll – a co-owner of the team.
” Iam pleased to finally share this exciting news about my future,” Vettel said.
”I’m extremely proud to say that I will become an Aston Martin driver in 2021. It’s a new adventure for me with a truly legendary car company. I have been impressed with the results the team has achieved this year and I believe the future looks even brighter.
”The energy and commitment of Lawrence [Stroll] to the sport is inspiring and I believe we can build something very special together.
”I still have so much love for Formula 1 and my only motivation is to race at the front of the grid. To do so with Aston Martin will be a huge privilege.”
CEO Otmar Szafnauer added: ”Everybody at Silverstone is hugely excited by this news. Sebastian is a proven champion and brings a winning mentality that matches our own ambitions for the future as Aston Martin F1 Team.
”On a Saturday or Sunday afternoon, Sebastian is one of the best in the world, and I can’t think of a better driver to help take us into this new era. He will play a significant role in taking this team to the next level.”
It follows an announcement from Mexican Perez that he would be leaving Racing Point after playing a key role in helping the team, previously known as Force India, from going out of business in 2018.
Perez said: ”Everything in life always has a beginning and an end, and after seven years together, my time with the team will come to an end after this season.
‘It hurts a bit as I bet on the team during very rough times. We managed to overcome obstacles and I am very proud of saving the jobs of several of my team-mates.’
I’ll keep the memories of the great moments lived together, the friendships and the satisfaction of always giving my all.
”I will always be grateful for the opportunity given to me by [former owner] Vijay Mallya, who believed in me in 2014 and allowed me to continue my F1 career with Force India.
”To the current administration, led by Lawrence Stroll, I wish nothing but the best in the future, especially with the upcoming Aston Martin project.”