Super Eagles winger Samuel Chukwueze missed the cut for the 20-man shortlist for the 2019 Golden Boy award which was announced on Tuesday.
The Villareal of Spain ace who told busybuddiesng.com about his aim of becoming Africa’s best player in two years, was included in the previous 40-man shortlist on the back of explosive performances in a breakthrough season with the La Liga side.
He also became a full international going on to score a goal in Nigeria’s run to the bronze medal at the 2019 AFCON.
Nigeria’s other representative on the 40-man list from which the top-20 was drawn, England-born Nigeria U20 Watford midfielder Ayotomiwa Dele-Bashiru also failed to make the cut.
Juventus’ Matthijs de Ligt, Atletico Madrid’s Joao Felix and Borussia Dortmund’s Jadon Sancho are considered among the leading contenders for the prestigious prize which is awarded to the best player under the age of 21.
De Ligt won the award last year, and he could become the first player to win it twice when the winner is announced on 16 December.
Here’s the 20-man shortlist for 2019’s award:
- Matthijs de Ligt (Juventus, Holland)
- Alphonso Davies (Bayern Munich, Canada)
- Gianluigi Donnarumma (Milan, Italy)
- Ansu Fati (Barcelona, Spain)
- Philip Foden (Man City, England)
- Matteo Guendouzi (Arsenal, France)
- Erling Haland (RB Salzburg, Norway)
- Kai Havertz (Bayer Leverkusen, Germany)
- Joao Felix (Atletico Madrid, Portugal)
- Dejan Joveljic (Eintracht Frankfurt, Serbia)
- Moise Kean (Everton, Italy)
- Kang-in Lee (Valencia, South Korea)
- Andrij Oleksijovyc (Valladolid, Ukraine)
- Danyell Malen (PSV Eindhoven, Netherlands)
- Mason Mount (Chelsea, England)
- Rodrygo (Real Madrid, Brazil)
- Jadon Sancho (Borussia Dortmund, England)
- Ferran Torres (Valencia, Spain)
- Vinicius Jr (Real Madrid, Brazil)
- Nicolò Zaniolo (Roma, Italy)