Zinedine Zidane took charge of training for the first time since his return to Real Madrid as it emerged rival Diego Simeone is earning twice as much as him.
Simeone’s new deal announced last month bumped him up to €25 million a season on a par with Atletico’s highest earner Antoine Griezmann.
That dwarfed the €7.5 million euros that Zidane was on in his previous spell at Real Madrid but respected Spanish website El Confidential say although the French coach has been given an improved new deal it will only see him earn a basic €12 million a season.
Bonuses built-in to the new deal could see him earn a further €5 million if Real Madrid manage a clean sweep of trophies next season.
Zidane took his first training session on Wednesday morning with the men who assisted him last season once again by his side.
David Bettoni and Hamidou Msaidie will be his assistant coaches with Antonio Pintus working as his fitness coach.
The French manager was announced as the new manager of the Santiago Bernabeu club on Monday evening, returning to Real just 10 months after deciding to leave.
Zidane departed shortly after winning a third consecutive Champions League but has been convinced by president Florentino Perez’s promises to go back after the exit of Santiago Solari.
And spirits seemed high as Zidane led his players through a session at their Ciudad Real Madrid training ground.
He may not be working with this group of players for very long though, based on his comments on Monday.
“I left the club because I thought the squad needed a change after winning everything,” he said.
“I’m back because the president called me. I am happy to be back but it’s a big responsibility because a lot of people love this club.
“We won the Champions League last season but we lost the league early and the cup too and I was at the controls when those things happened.
“I know what I did wrong last season and I’m going to do my best to make sure the team does better this time.
“We have to change things but right now we have time to talk and plan. We have 11 games left.
“Things are going badly in the league but I was the coach last season and it was the same (in the league).”
Asked if he felt returning was a risk he tapped his chest and said: “I’m not thinking about that.
“My heart says that I have rested and the president calls me and I wanted to come and that’s it. The desire I have is what has brought me here.”
- / 1 hour ago
With the 2019 FIBA Women’s AfroBasket title safe and secure, D’Tigress head coach Otis...
- / 2 hours ago
Head coach of Nigeria’s female national basketball team Otis Hugley Jr said he never...
- / 3 hours ago
D’Tigress star Evelyn Akhator believes Nigeria’s triumph at the 2019 FIBA Women’s Afrobasket in...
- / 13 hours ago
The maiden edition of the Lagos State Inter-Club Boxing Challenge starts today, Monday, 21...