google.com, pub-8336909117928051, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0
Connect with us

Europe

Xavi Tells FIFA To Ditch World Cup Plans

Share This:

Ex-Spain international Xavi Hernandez has told FIFA to ditch their plans to increase the number of teams at Qatar 2022 World Cup from 32 to 48.

The 2026 World Cup to be co-hosted by the United States, Mexico and Canada will however feature 48 teams, but FIFA President Gianni Infantino proposed last week the increment of teams for the 2022 tournament in Qatar.

Barcelona legend Xavi, and World Cup winner with Spain in 2010 however said 48 teams would not be the right option for 2022.

“It’s too much and too long. Imagine 48 teams in Qatar, it will not be good in my opinion,” he told reporters on Monday.

“It’s still for the organisers to decide, but for now Qatar is doing everything to prepare for 32 teams and it will be difficult to change it for more teams. Also, it’s good for football to have 32. That’s more than enough.”

The proposal would be put to a vote at the FIFA Congress in Paris on June 5 should an agreement be made with the Qatari organizers to increase the number of teams.

Share This:

Comments

comments

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement

Latest

Tags

Advertisement
Advertisement e

More in Europe

WP2Social Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com
Translate »