Tyson Fury’s promoter Frank Warren has promised to ensure fans’ yearning for a unification bout with Anthony Joshua happens this year telling the BBC that “we will make it happen” in response to fans’ wishes.
All heavyweight titles now reside in Britain for the first time in history after Fury, 31, stunned Deontay Wilder, 34, on Sunday to claim the WBC title.
Joshua, whose last fight was in Saudi Arabia, holds the WBA, IBF, WBO and IBO belts.
Joshua’s promoter Eddie Hearn had earlier stated his wish to make the fight happen in the aftermath of Fury’s stunning 7th round stoppage of Wilder and reiterated his stance on Monday.
“Of course we want to see the fight,” Warren told BBC Sport. “We’ve been trying to make it for two years.”
“Hearn kept saying was it’s got to be 70/30 [the purse] in favour of AJ and so on and so fourth.
“The tables have turned now. I have no problem with 50/50. I think Tyson would deserve more but 50/50, no problem.
“This is about the boxers and more importantly the fans. If they want to see the fight we will make it happen.
“In the meantime, Eddie Hearn is acting like the guy standing outside your house with his nose pressed up against the window and keeps spouting off about Tyson.”
Joshua’s promoter Eddie Hearn speaking to Sky Sports on Monday said he would do everything possible to agree a deal, and both sides would be “clowns” and “idiots” if the fight which could be the biggest in the history of the sport failed to hold.
“Everybody is very clear on this. Everybody wants this fight — Anthony Joshua, Tyson Fury, MTK, Top Rank, Frank Warren, Matchroom,” said Hearn, referring to those involved on both sides.
“There are some hurdles to overcome on the broadcasting, but nothing too much.
“I promise you this fight will happen.”
Any prospects of a fight between the British heavyweights hinges on the fact Wilder has the option of a rematch with Fury and has 30 days to invoke a clause in his contract.
Hearn says if that happens then Joshua, 30, will face Kubrat Pulev in a mandatory IBF bout, with the promoter in talks to hold the fight at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium on 20 June.