Weeks after Kathryn Mayorga, a 34 year old woman, alleged that Cristiano Ronaldo raped her at a Las Vegas hotel in 2009, the former Real Madrid player who spoke to reporters today at a press conference for Tuesday’s UEFA Champions League clash against his former club Manchester United still denies the allegations and said his lawyers are on the case.
Ronaldo said: “I know I am an example, I know 100%, in the pitch and outside the pitch”.
“I am always smiling, a happy man,” he said.
“I play in a fantastic club, have a fantastic family. I have four kids, I am healthy – I have everything, so the rest doesn’t interfere on me.
“I am not going to lie on the situation. I am very happy. My lawyers are confident and of course I am too.
“I enjoy football, my life. The rest, I have people who take care of my life and, of course, the truth is always coming in a first position, so I’m good.”
Der Spiegel, a weekly German magazine who first broke the story said that in 2010, Ms Mayorga reportedly reached an out-of-court settlement with Ronaldo involving a £288,000 payment for agreeing never to go public with the allegations which her lawyers are now seeking to declare void.
Ronaldo’s lawyer has previously said his client does not deny entering an agreement but that “the reasons that led him to do so are at least to be distorted” and added that the agreement is by no means a confession of guilt.
Although the five time Balon d’Or winner has dismissed the story as “fake news”, his lawyers also claim documents used in Der Spiegel’s investigation have been “completely fabricated”.
Meanwhile, Der Spiegel says it has “no reason” to doubt the authenticity of key documents used in its story.