Super Eagles head coach Gernot Rohr has revealed that Chelsea winger Victor Moses would be welcomed back into the team if he decides to make a U-turn on his decision to retire from international football.
Moses, 27, shocked the entire footballing world and especially the Nigerian football industry when he announced his retirement last week Monday.
The former Liverpool, West Ham United, Crystal Palace and Stoke City star was recently part of the Super Eagles squad to this year’s FIFA World Cup tournament in Russia.
He was on target against Argentina in the final Group D game as Nigeria crashed out of the tournament in the group stage following one win and two defeats from three group games.
Victor Moses was an integral of the 2013 African Cup of Nations (AFCON) winning squad and scored 12 goals in 37 caps since he made his debut in 2012.
In his words via KweseESPN, Rohr said: “We spoke already and I hope that his decision is not definitive.”
“I think it depends on his motivation. If he really wants to commit himself again, he is welcome.
“Maybe the chance to win the Afcon is motivation. We will see.” The former Bayern Munich defender concluded.
His teammate William Troost-Ekong was surprised by his decision.
The newly signed Udinese centre back said: “I didn’t expect it.”
“I was just as shocked as everyone else when I heard. It is a massive loss for Nigeria because Victor has been fantastic for us.
“I have only played with him the last year and a half. Everyone sees what he can do. But at the same time it would be exciting to see what other players stand up now.
“Players come and go and it’s not one player that makes a team. I think it should be exciting for Nigeria to see what players stand up now.” He concluded.