Nigeria’s Sports Minister, Barrister Solomon Dalung has pitched his tent with the rule of law amidst the ongoing crisis troubling the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF).
Barrister Dalung stated his preference to pitch his tent with the rule of law rather than opinion of men via a statement released in Abuja on Tuesday by his Special Assistant on Media, Nneka Ikem Anibeze.
The minister also lauded the efforts of the Vice-President which aborted the potential football ban.
The statement read: “I welcome the intervention of the Vice-President, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo, which saved Nigeria from a suspension threat by FIFA in the lingering crisis of the FootbaIl Federation.
”I believe in the resolution of the crisis which has a history dating back to almost 20 years since the removal of Mr Anthony Kojo Williams from office.
“This crisis cannot be solved with a temporary measure or scratched on the surface.
”The intervention of the vice-president should not be viewed as different from an attempt to abate an escalating situation,“ Dalung stated further.
The Sports Minister, however, revealed that the matter had a subsisting judgement of the Supreme Court of Nigeria.
“As a barrister and solicitor of the Supreme Court of Nigeria, who took oath of office to protect and defend the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, I will prefer to stand with the rule of law instead of the opinion of men.
”I want to appeal to Nigerians to remain calm and give support to the NFF Elders Stakeholders Reconciliation Committee which is made up of reputable past presidents and general secretaries of the NFF with vast knowledge, experience and competence to resolve this crisis once and for all.
”We are a constitutional democracy and the doctrine of separation of powers is the foundation of democratic experience, therefore, the rule of law is the only mechanism that guarantees liberty and freedom of citizens.” The statement concluded.
FIFA had earlier released a statement which disclosed that the suspension of the NFF won’t happen again after conditions set by the decision of the Bureau of the international body’s Council were met.
The conditions were initiated in a bid to put an end to the NFF Crisis dating back to 2014 when two separate elections led to the Amaju Pinnick-led board and the Chris Giwa-led faction.
The FIFA statement said: “In view of these circumstances, FIFA deems that the conditions set by the decision of the Bureau of the FIFA Council have now been met and consequently the suspension of the NFF will not take effect.”
“FIFA will continue to closely monitor the situation in order to ensure that FIFA’s rules and regulations are fully adhered to.” The statement further stated.
- / 10 hours ago
Chairman of Lagos State Sports Commission Dr Kweku Tandoh says the Commission’s focus in...
- / 13 hours ago
The Madrid Provincial Court will study the tax cases of Cristiano Ronaldo and Xabi Alonso on Tuesday, January...
- / 14 hours ago
Following on the success of its first two editions, the Nigerian Premier Football League (NPFL)...