The resumption of the Italian Serie A has gotten more complicated as new sets of players have been confirmed positive for coronavirus.
Four Sampdoria players, including one who had previously recovered, and three from Fiorentina have tested positive for coronavirus, the two Serie A clubs announced on Thursday.
“During the tests to which the footballers were subjected, three new cases of COVID-19 emerged, with one player testing positive again,” Sampdoria said in a statement.
Earlier Fiorentina had revealed that three players and three of the club’s staff had tested positive for the virus.
The new wave of coronavirus infection on players might stall the resumption of the League as Torino confirmed one of its players had caught the virus on Wednesday thereby taking the tally to eight among Italy’s topflight clubs.
On Thursday, the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) met the government’s technical scientific committee to discuss the medical protocol for a potential return to group training.
Sports Minister Vincenzo Spadafora said after the meeting he was “hopeful” team training could resume of May 18.
“There has been a very important, very in-depth meeting, with many requests from doctors and scientists to the FIGC,” Spadafora said on Facebook.
“Now the committee, on the basis of these insights, will draw up its own assessment which will be sent to the Ministry of Health.”