Japanese star Naomi Osaka has withdrawn from Wimbledon but is planning to play at the Tokyo Olympics.
The four-time Grand Slam champion had also pulled out of the French Open in May citing her struggle with depression and anxiety.
Her agent told reporters the 23-year-old will spend time with friends and family during Wimbledon but will be ready for the Olympics.
On Wednesday, Wimbledon organisers said the 23-year-old four-time Grand Slam champion was expected to take part in the championships, which start on June 28.
“At this point in time she’s entered into the championships and we haven’t received confirmation that she won’t compete,” All England Club chief executive Sally Bolton said.
Osaka has been in the spotlight since withdrawing from the French Open.
She was fined $15,000 and threatened with disqualification from Roland Garros after she refused to honour mandatory media commitments.
French Open organisers protested that they had treated her with “care and respect” after they were accused of being heavy-handed.
Osaka lost in the third round of Wimbledon in 2017 and 2018 and bowed out in the first round in 2019. Last year’s tournament was cancelled due to coronavirus.
Earlier Thursday, two-time Wimbledon champion Rafael Nadal also announced he would be skipping this year’s tournament as well as the Olympics in order “to prolong my career”.