Former world number one Andy Murray is a doubt for this year’s Australian Open after pulling out of the Brisbane International.
The British tennis star has pulled out of the tournament because of his long-term hip injury.
Murray, 30, has not played since July and his long absence might extend to the 2018 Australian Open later this month.
While speaking on Instagram, Murray revealed that surgery was a “secondary option” to cure his injury woes.
He said its “something I may have to consider but let’s hope not”.
The Australian Open starts in Melbourne on January 15 and Murray revealed that he would decide by the weekend whether to fly home or stay in Australia.
Andy Murray was due to play American Ryan Harrison on Thursday in the last 16 in Brisbane after he had been given a bye.
The three-time Grand Slam champion further revealed that: “It’s quite demoralising that when you get on the court it’s not at the level you need it to be to compete at this level. It’s really hurting inside.”
In an earlier statement announcing his withdrawal from the tournament, the 2012 and 2013 Brisbane international winner said: “I’m very disappointed to be withdrawing.”
“I came here with every intention of making a strong start to the year.” he added.