Turkish club Trabzonspor have countered Mikel Obi’s claims about the club’s lackadaisical reaction to the outbreak of the coronavirus.
MIkel had told The Athletic that the Super Lig side were not concerned about the welfare of players days after his contract had been terminated prematurely on “mutual consent”.
Mikel is reported to have refused playing in protest to the fact that the Turkish League was still in session after there were confirmed cases of the virus in the country.
The former Super Eagles captain has since returned to his girlfriend and two kids in UK but his former club have reportedly responded to the interview he granted to The Athletic.
“Mikel’s claim regarding our club does not reflect the truth. As Trabzonspor Club, we have taken all our precautions against Covid-19 in a short time,” Trabzon based website 61saat.com reported.
“In line with the information provided by the Ministry of Health, our club’s health committee informed our players. Facilities, fields and our stadium was disinfected. Restrictions were introduced to the facilities, including footballers’ own guests. Staff members were also told to work from home in line with the social distance understanding.”
“Mikel, unfortunately, preferred to go in spite of these precautions and common sense.
“Mikel said he wanted to be with his family in England.”
The Turkish Football Federation (TFF) on Thursday confirmed that the four tiers of professional football in the nation would be suspended after world players’ union FIFPro called for the campaign in Turkey to be stopped amid the continued spread of Covid-19.
There have been 670 confirmed cases of the virus in Turkey, with nine people having died.