Gonzalo Higuain’s expected move to David Beckham’s Inter Miami club in the United States looks closer to completion after his contract with Italian champions Juventus was terminated by mutual consent.
The 32-year-old joined the Old Lady from Serie A rivals Napoli for an Italian record fee of £75m in July 2016.
At the time it was also the world’s third most expensive transfer.
On Thursday, Inter Miami manager Diego Alonso said Higuain was “finalising negotiations” with the MLS club.
The former Chelsea loanee was greeted at Miami Airport by Jorge Mas last week. Mas is one of four co-owners alongside former England captain Beckham.
Former Real Madrid forward Higuain scored 66 goals in 149 games – for Juve in between loan spells in England and at AC Milan. He won the title last season but never quite lived up to the heights expected of Serie A’s joint record holder for the most league goals in a single campaign.
Last month, new Juventus boss Andrea Pirlo announced Higuain would soon be leaving the Turin club.
“He was a great champion, a great player but the cycle is over,” ex-Italy midfielder Pirlo said.
“We looked each other in the eyes, we talked and we made this decision. I admire him a lot, but we have decided that the paths will separate.”