FA Cup Review: West Brom Stun Liverpool As Late Kane Strike Saves Tottenham

West Brom produced the shock result of the FA Cup 4th Round till date following an impressive 3-2 win over Liverpool at Anfield on Saturday evening.

English forward Jay Rodriguez scored two goals in five early first half minutes to overturn Roberto Firmino’s opening goal in favour of his Midlands club.

Video Assistant Referee (VAR) was thereafter called upon thrice to help centre referee Craig Dawson with his decisions.

The first incident was used to rightfully disallow a third goal from West Brom defender Craig Dawson before it was employed in the award of a penalty to Liverpool. The spot kick was missed by the aforementioned Firmino.

West Brom got a third goal again and this time VAR made it count to give Alan Pardew’s men a good cushion into the break.

Liverpool came out of the dressing room rejuvenated but found the West Brom rearguard too compact to be penetrated apart from Salah’s first time finish to pull the scoreline at 3-2.

The result means Liverpool have been knocked out in the 4th Round for the second successive season after they were beaten by English Championship leaders Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Tottenham also struggled but were able to force a replay against their Welsh hosts Newport County.

Harry Kane’s 82nd minute equaliser cancelled out Irish striker Padraig Amond’s first half strike for League One side Newport County.

Both sides will meet for a replay at the Wembley Stadium to determine who will go through.

Wigan Athletic saw off 10-man West Ham United 2-0 at home courtesy a brace from Will Grigg.

David Moyes’ side finished the game with 10 men after Arthur Masuaku was given his marching orders after a spitting incident.

Full Results

Huddersfield Town 1-1 Birmingham City

Southampton 1-0 Watford

Wigan Athletic 2-0 West Ham United

Liverpool 2-3 West Brom

Newport County 1-1 Tottenham Hotspur

Millwall 2-2 Rochdale

Notts County 1-1 Swansea City

Sheffield United 1-0 Preston North End

Middlesbrough 0-1 Brighton

MK Dons 0-1 Coventry City

Hull City 2-1 Nottingham Forest