Carlo Ancelotti has left Everton for Real Madrid, the English club has confirmed.
Ancelotti, 61, returns to Real Madrid for a second spell having previously managed the Spanish side between 2013 and 2015. He succeeds Zinedine Zidane, who left the club last month.
“Everton can confirm that Carlo Ancelotti has left his position as manager to take up the role of Head Coach at Real Madrid,” the Premier League club said in a statement on Tuesday.
Ancelotti said: “I would like to thank the board of directors, the players, and the Evertonians for the tremendous support they have all given me during my time at the club.
“I have complete respect for everyone associated with Everton and hope they can achieve the exciting opportunities they have in front of them.
“While I have enjoyed being at Everton I have been presented with an unexpected opportunity which I believe is the right move for me and my family at this time.”
A statement from Everton added: “Everton would like to place on record its thanks to Carlo for his service to the club over the past 18 months.”
Ancelotti took over at Everton with the club 15th in the leg and managed eight wins and five draws in his first 19 games in charge as they finished 12th by the end of the campaign.
Everton looked to be in the running for the title this season following a blistering start but they veered off course as the season wore on, ultimately finishing 10th and missing European qualification entirely.