Barcelona coach Quique Setien has described La Liga’s conditions for restarting the season “a non-starter” and says he is doubtful that the Spanish top-flight season will be able to be completed due to the continued threat of the novel coronavirus.
Spanish football has been on hold since March 10 due to the pandemic but La Liga president Javier Tebas said last week that the league could start up again on either May 29, June 7 or June 28, adding that the games were likely to be held without spectators.
Tebas has said Spanish clubs would lose a total of one billion euros in television revenue, ticket sales and prize money if the remaining 11 matches cannot be played.
But Setien, whose Barca side held a two-point lead over Real Madrid at the top of the standings when the campaign was indefinitely postponed, does not think it is so simple.
“Everyone wants to be ready for when the season starts again but that cannot happen until the health authorities can guarantee that there will be no problems,” Setien told Catalan radio station RAC1 on Thursday.
“I have read the protocol and the reality is I don’t know if it can be carried out as it is written, I think it’s unworkable, I think it’s very difficult logistically.”