Chelsea manager, Antonio Conte has noted that Diego Costa’s future at Stamford Bridge was “clear” since last January.
Costa, who did not travel with Chelsea for their pre-season tour of Asia, fell out with the Italian manager during last season over the state of his fitness but was later recalled to the team.
Addressing reporters in Beijing, Conte said: “I don’t like to talk about players that don’t stay here, but the only thing I can tell you, in January, the Costa situation was very clear, for the club, for him and his agent,”
“For me the situation is closed.”
ON THIS DAY: In 2014, Diego Costa joined Chelsea from Atletico for £32m. His league record since then:
52 goals ⚽️
16 assists ?️
2 titles ? pic.twitter.com/GAXFUuVUH3
— Squawka Football (@Squawka) July 15, 2017
28-year-old Costa claimed Conte sent him a text message last June, indicating his services are no longer required at Chelsea.
However, Chelsea are very close to announcing the signing of Real Madrid’s Alvaro Morata for a reported fee of £60m, a signing Conte referred to as “good”.
“We have added a fantastic striker, even at a young age he has won a lot already and we are looking forward to welcoming him to the squad,”
13 – Alvaro Morata’s goals won Real Madrid 13 points in the La Liga last season; only Cristiano Ronaldo won more for the side (15). Crucial. pic.twitter.com/porHNrISY8
— OptaJoe (@OptaJoe) July 19, 2017
“I think for sure this is a good signing for us. He is a young player, but has a lot of experience, he went to Juventus and Real Madrid. He has a lot of experience and I think this is a good sign for us.” Conte concluded.
- / 25 mins ago
Vittsjo FC of Sweden and Super Falcons defender Osinachi Ohale says the team has...
- / 37 mins ago
Nike is set to extend its kit deal with Nigeria Football Federation for a...